I am wondering: How do you pronounce "parlent-ils" correctly? I know that the ending "-ent" is usually mute. However, what about cases that usually require a liason?

marked as duplicate by Laure, Luke Sawczak, Toto, user3177, sumelic May 17 '17 at 22:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

-ent does indeed trigger liaison on the "t". To cite good old Daniel Lavoie: "Mais c'est toujours les mêmes qui semblenT avoir raison" ("Long long", Nirvana bleu, 1979). Why just the "t"? Well, in these consonant clusters activated by liaison, the last consonant is generally the one pronounced. So similarly, in "grands arbres" you won't hear a "d" but you will hear a "z". – Luke Sawczak May 17 '17 at 13:06
    Does that mean, I'd pronounce it "parl til"? – Thomas Wening May 17 '17 at 13:08
  • @ThomasWening Misread your comment. That's correct. Laure: Good find. I don't think there's anything to add that isn't in that thread. – Luke Sawczak May 17 '17 at 13:21
    @ThomasWening "parl til" or "parleu til", like the singular third person "parle-t-il". – Destal May 17 '17 at 13:26
  • Thanks! This and the mentioned threat answer my question. – Thomas Wening May 17 '17 at 13:49

The '-nt' at the end of verb is always mute. Parle and Parlent have the same prononciation.

When you ask with the form verb-sujet-? You have to add a -t for a better sonority except when verb end by -t or -d : - convainc-t-il ? - prend-il ? - cueille-t-il ? - peut-il ?

For more informations on liaisons : check here

To be clearer, it's not always mute. The "t" you mention adding is to match the fact that in words that already end in "t", you pronounce it. – Luke Sawczak May 17 '17 at 13:23
  • Sorry, I should have say "the '-nt' at the end of a verb at the last person of plurial is always mute". – Erwan May 17 '17 at 13:45
    ...when not in liaison circumstances! – Luke Sawczak May 17 '17 at 14:02
  • Wrong- 'parlent' would be the same pronounciation if it was alone. But in this case, you have to pronounce the 't' because of the liaison. – George M May 19 '17 at 20:21

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.