Quand j'étais enfant, chaque jour ma mère ___ un conte.

Should the passé composé m'a lu or the imparfait me lisait go there? I tend toward the imparfait because the sentence is about an action that took place regularly in the past, but the use of chaque jour makes me unsure, since the action only took place once each day.

• (among other things) Imparfait details what used to happen on a regular basis, or happened an indefinite number of times. And chaque jour is quite regular :) – Andreas May 25 '17 at 11:34
    PC is possible, but wouldn't be the most common way to fill the blank, I think. It would insist on the literal claim of having been read to each and every day. "My mom read to me every one of those days" (PC) instead of "My mom would read to me every day" (imparfait), or something. That's my sense, anyway. – Luke Sawczak May 25 '17 at 15:17
  • Agree with Luke. Default would be the imperfect (habitual), but the PC is possible if insisting on/counting individual events (e.g. i it said "ce mois-là" instead of "quand j'étais enfant"). – Circeus May 25 '17 at 16:13

You should use the imparfait:

Quand j’étais enfant, chaque jour ma mère me lisait un conte.

| improve this answer | |
  • That's right. Anyway, as the OP is learning, I think you could have added an explanation about why imparfait is the good choice. – Mistalis May 26 '17 at 9:48
  • The problem is that I just don't know why. I'm just a french bad at grammar. :D – Damien Monni May 26 '17 at 9:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.