I'm working on a school project about different régiolects in France.

I came across the word 'Bonjor' , which means 'Bonjour' in a certain régiolect but I can't seem to find which régiolect this is used in.

Does anyone have an idea which régiolect it could be?

Wikipedia gives the word as francoprovençal but francoprovençal covers a large variety of regional languages and I've browsed quite a number of francoprovençal dictionaries before I could find one that gives bonjor and it appears to be in a Dictionnaire lyonnais-français des monts du Lyonnais (Yzeron, Rontalon).

I came upon this webpage thanks to Lexilogos. It is a very good site as far as regional languages are concerned.

Maybe someone on this site who is from the Yzeron and Rontalon area could confirm this, but I expect that, as in most parts of metropolitan France nowadays, not many people still speak a local dialect there.

This says Savoie: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bonjor and Bresse, which is next to it. That said, I've been in Savoie plenty and never seen/heard it, but my parisian accent would probably preclude being addressed in the local dialect :-).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.