I saw this nice picture of the President of France, and recalled a term we Russians use for a bicyclist who only rides small distances in the city: "flowerbed rider" (клумбокат). I would not call it derisive, it has a nice amateurish touch to it. A lot of people call themselves "flowerbed riders". There has been a bicycle craze in Russia in the last several years.

I'm curious if there's a similar term in French.

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


Not really. If someone only cycle for small distances to go to work for instance they won't call themselves cyclist. Someone who goes cycling every once in a while are called

Cycliste du dimanche (sunday cyclist)

There are also sunday runners, walkers ...

  • Despite Sunday being the day most people don't work.
    – Destal
    Jun 21, 2017 at 8:05
  • 1
    @SimonDéchamps I understood cycliste du dimanche as one of those who only goes infrequently, not commuting daily.
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jun 22, 2017 at 15:39
  • 1
    @LukeSawczak And you were right, I was kidding.
    – Destal
    Jun 22, 2017 at 15:50

"Cycliste du dimanche" convient ainsi que le terme "pratiquant du vélo". Le terme "vélophile" existe aussi mais est inusité.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.