I am writing historical fiction, so pretty good with research. But I am stumped by the use of Monsieur. I realize it was used by royalty referring to the brother of a king. However now it is used as a title for French-speaking gentlemen.

What I cannot find is what title was used for a gentleman prior to its modern general use?

I appreciate any assistance as I cannot find an answer anywhere online.

Welcome to French Language Stack Exchange! Please take the tour and visit the Help Centre at some point, and we hope you continue to ask questions. Unfortunately, I can't answer this particular one, but there are a few other editors who very likely can. :) – Luke Sawczak Jun 21 '17 at 18:05
    When is your writing set? “Prior to its modern general use” is not a precise time period. And where? French is more unified today than it used to be. – Gilles Jun 22 '17 at 8:44
  • That's a really limited view. 'Monsieur' by itself was used for Louis XIV's brother. But that was because he was the most important of his contemporaries, not because that was a title used for all of a king's brothers, or that he initiated it in any way. Monsieur So-and-so was a common title for general nobility, used for centuries before. It'd be helpful if you'd give us a century for your fiction? – George M Jun 22 '17 at 18:26

In the Middle-Ages a man of certain importance was addressed as Monsor. The word started being spelt Monsieur in the 16th century.

Monsor - Monsieur is the contraction of Mon - Sieur (My Lord).

Sieur continued being used in front of a man's name, without an initial capital in legal writings. At that time when used in a novel, it gave an ironical or derogatory tone.

• I certainly appreciate you quick response! Merci. I believe all it could be is Sieur. It is all I can find. Can you tell me if Sieur capitalized when used BEFORE a gentleman's name Such as Sier Daniel Boyd Or should it be sier Daniel Boyd Every translator gives me something different. Vee – Vee Jun 21 '17 at 18:30

En référence à la célèbre scène du réveil du film "La folie des grandeurs", je propose Monseigneur (prononcé monseignor dans l'extrait pour la rime).

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.