I'm writing the owner of an airbnb that I stayed at whose kitchen sink drained slowly. How would you say this in French? I've searched google and wordreference forums but can't seem to find this.

  • 1
    I don't understand why the closure request was refused by moderators. French Language is not a translation service. Questions should show some research efforts, and at least say what they have found searching on the internet, google translate gives L'évier s'écoule lentement. The question could have said: "is google translate correct?". Other option for the OP would have been to ask on chat since he is a SE user with enough rep.
    – None
    Jul 19, 2017 at 5:59
  • Apologies, I should have clarified the research I had done before posting. Google Translate actually gave me "L'évier draine lentement" and looking up the verbe drainer on Wordreference it didn't seem like the context was what I wanted. I'll include my previous research on future questions, thanks!
    – liquidki
    Jan 27, 2018 at 12:06

1 Answer 1


In French, we say "l'évier se vide lentement". It means that the sink is clogged. (l'évier est bouché)

  • You are saying that l'évier se vide lentement means ("it means") the sink is clogged. When it is clogged nothing goes through, it does not drain at all...
    – None
    Jul 19, 2017 at 8:54
  • It's interesting that your understanding of clogged is that the sink is completely blocked. I've always used clogged to say that something is obstructing the flow to a decent degree, but without indicating exactly what degree. If I wanted to indicate that water doesn't drain at all I'd use "blocked, stopped up, or clogged up". English is used so widely I'm sure there are regional differences.
    – liquidki
    Jan 27, 2018 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.