I am looking for expressions that can be used to say something like I want to burp, or did you burp.

I find saying faire un rot is not slang enough.

  • 1
    Roter is quicker, though closely related. It is also well known even among the deepest and lowest French-speaking societies, so you shouldn't worry about it being too fancy or elegant. Aug 17, 2017 at 23:46
  • 1
    To add to @Feelew's comment, I'd say posh people do not say roter they say éructer. Roter is the word you use for a baby, a French parent fait faire son rot à son bébé when an English parent "burps their baby".
    – None
    Aug 18, 2017 at 10:42

1 Answer 1


Roter is the word you are looking for, even if it is not slang and only colloquial. It is not the word you would use in good company, the posh word to use when you eat out with your boss or with the Queen instead of with pals is éructer.

Faire un rot can also be used although it is more of a phrase that will be used for babies. Bébé a fait son rot... (Baby has burped)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.