I'm generally thinking about the construction; "It is I who" + verb. Does the verb conjugate for the first person or the third person, seeing as (I do believe) "I" in this situation would be "moi"?

Therefore, does one say:

"C'est moi qui veut" manger or "C'est moi qui veux manger"?

The problem with the verb "to want/vouloir" is that you cannot hear the difference. Even for a native speaker, it can be mistaken if you have to write it. With an other verb, it can be much easier to find the solution (if you have a good French of course) because you will hear the difference.

With the verb "to be/être" for example : "C'est moi qui suis..." and "c'est lui/elle qui est..."

It is "C'est moi qui veux", definitely.

In your sentence, qui is the subject of the subordinate sentence, and qui is a pronoun that replaces "moi", therefore "vouloir" must be used at the first person ==>

C'est moi qui veux !

Note that qui will also je either masculine/feminine depending on what it replaces, e.g.

C'est elle qui est venue.

And qui replaces the nominal group that is directly before it, therefore you say (as mentioned by @Distic)

C'est moi la personne qui a faim.

because qui = la personne in this example

As a remark, there is no such consensus in English: it seems that you can write both

It's I who want 

and

It's I who wants

even if the first is more frequent.

But in French, it would definitely be a mistake to write

C'est moi qui veut (**WRONG**)
  • About the mistake in french, an easy way to remember what to say/write is to try with "nous": C'est nous qui voulons – Paul Picard Sep 1 '17 at 9:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.