Would I be right in saying that the difference here when adding the en is just emphasis? I struggle to see the meaning of en used in this way. The translation to English of sentences with the en don't shed any light either.

Is it just emphasising or what?

EDIT:OK some examples where I heard this with en but don't see how it would be different if the en wasn't there:

1. Et si vous en avez le courage.
2. Vous en avez une tout au début.
  • Welcome to French Language. Can you give more context? None of these two groups of words will stand on their own. Vous en avez une, has a personal pronoun en that stands for something, only the context will say what. Vous avez une is an unfinished sentence because we expect a grammatical object after avez. It would the same if you asked what is the difference in English between "you've got one" and "you've got", I'd ask you: what is it that you've got? – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Aug 28 '17 at 16:17
  • "you've got one" and "you've got"? But that would mean 'une' is not there...? I'm talking about the difference between the 'en' being there or not. It would be very easy to explain the difference between "you've got one" and "you've got". Anyway I've added the context where I came across this. – Hasen Aug 28 '17 at 16:37
  • So you've dropped une in sentence 1, ... but anyway that's enough to see where the problem lies. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Aug 28 '17 at 16:52
  • No I haven't dropped anything, they are just two examples (independent of each other) where I came across 'vous en avez'....? I was providing a context for more clarity. – Hasen Aug 28 '17 at 17:07
  • Title of your question: vous en avez une… vs vous avez une. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Aug 28 '17 at 18:36

En in those sentences is a personal pronoun. It usually represents something that has previously been mentioned. The use of en is different in each sentence you give. We'll have to add context to explain.

Et si vous en avez le courage vous rentrerez à pied.

En represents rentrer à pied. It could be dropped in that particular sentence without altering comprehension but most people would leave it. En is used here because avoir le courage would be followed by de (vous avez le courage de rentrer à pied), there's a question about it here: Replacing phrase with "en"

– Est-ce qu'il y a des publicités dans ce magazine ?
– Vous en avez une (deux, trois, etc...) tout au début.

En is necessary when expressing a notion of quantity and no actual noun phrase is specified. It could not be dropped. In the above example, en represents publicité. In the same way we could add to the previous sentence: "... et vous en avez une autre à la fin."

Both youre examples use avoir, but of course, the use of en is not linked to avoir. (Si vous vous en rappeler rapportez moi des pommes. Il y a des oiseaux dans le jardin, j'en vois deux.)

You say you have been trying to translate into English, but one can never translate word for word. In the examples you give English does not translate en at all.
1. if you've got the guts... / if you feel up to it
2. There's one right at the beginning.
But you'd translate en in Tu veux des biscuits ? oui, j'en veux bien. (yes, I'd like some)

Another possible English interpretation of the first sentence, in the sense of a tedious task (si vous en avez le courage): if you're up for this. – ﺪﺪﺪ Aug 28 '17 at 18:51
  • @Feelew You're right that in the case of walking home it is more a question of feeling up to it than having the guts ! – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Aug 28 '17 at 18:59
  • Ok that's great, thanks. I guess my two examples were good then since they were both completely different ways to use 'en'. I realise translating to English is not ideal, in fact I try to avoid it almost entirely but I must understand what I'm hearing/reading or I won't progress. Therefore this 'en' really had me stuck. Thanks for your help. – Hasen Aug 29 '17 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.