I'm having trouble figuring out how to say:

It's not something I can give from thousands of km away.

The French preposition de is the only one I know that translates roughly as the English from in a locational sense, but I am used to there being a connotation of origination from as opposed to action from in the French de.

Would it be correct to translate the above as:

Ce n'est pas quelque chose que je peux donner de milliers de kilomètres de là.

In more straightforward cases where distance is stated, the French à is used; so would it be more correct to say:

Ce n'est pas quelque chose que je peux donner à milliers de kilomètres de là.

(I am obviously very much a beginner in French.)

Depuis (in this case = from) and à (in this case = to) would be valid preposition to talk about a location. However, if you want to stress the fact that you are not "geographically" present to give something, I would rather say (not a litteral translation):

Ce n'est pas quelque chose que je peux offrir en étant à des milliers de kilomètres de là. 

Note that "donner" is usually an action that assumes some proximity (from hand to hand). In your case I would therefore suggest "offrir", but offrir is more specifically used for presents (so maybe not in your case).

from thousands of is translated by depuis des milliers de where depuis is used to indicate the starting point in space.

Note that it can also be used to indicated the starting point in time. More details in [1]

The complete sentence would then be:

Ce n'est pas quelque chose que je peux donner depuis des milliers de kilomètres de là.

[1] http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/depuis/23940

• Je préfère : Ce n'est pas quelque chose que je peux donner à des kilomètres d'ici. Le sens est différent, mais la référence à la position distante ne me semble pas naturelle. – Loïc Di Benedetto Sep 9 '17 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.