Is there a French equivalent for "damn it"? I tried researching it on my own, but I couldn't find a proper and completely explained answer.

I'm practically trying to figure out how to use the French word for this in a certain situation. Say, I was burned by something. I touched something that I didn't know was hot, but I touched it and it burned me. My reaction is to quickly move my hand away from it and yell "damn it!", except I don't want to say "damn it", I want to say whatever the French equivalent is, just because it's funny or perhaps because I don't want anybody to know what exactly I just said.

Here's the information that I need about the word. I need to know what the word is, obviously, and exactly how it's spelled. I need to know the exact accurate pronunciation for the word. I need to know the most accurate translation for it, as well, if it does literally translate to "damn it" or just "damn" or whatever. I need to know how to use it properly, like if the situation I described above would actually be an appropriate time to use said word, or if it would make more sense elsewhere, or if there is a different word or phrase that would be more appropriate for that sort of situation. I need to know if there is a feminine and masculine difference of the word, like if it would need to be worded or pronounced differently depending on if a female or male says it.

If you need more detail, I will provide it. Thanks in advance to anybody that can help me with this.

Incidentally, no word in French is different based on whether a male or female says it. They can be different depending on if they're used to describe a male or female. – Luke Sawczak Sep 15 '17 at 12:04
  • Outdated: Diantre ! – Blue_Elephant Sep 15 '17 at 15:49
  • Out of interest... and... from some old norman standpoint... Are you english ? – aCOSwt Oct 9 '18 at 13:55
  • Bear in mind that the word to express the notion "Damn it!" will be translated for the context, but the semantics of it will be different. So, this is situational, and not something you will find in dictionaries. (Japanese is a language where men and women have different speech patterns. :) – Lambie Sep 6 at 14:27

As a random cuss it's usually just "merde" or "zut" (or a variety of exclamations that may be specific to one person: my mother's minced oath of choice was "Bateau!"). If you wish to damn "it" (i.e. damn something/someone) specifically, there are various expressions, but none that people would actually say.

• Thank you. How do you pronounce "merde" and "zut", and is there a difference for males and females? – user8611261 Sep 15 '17 at 0:44
  • Pronunciation doesn't show (as far as I know) as much variation between the genders as it does between people of different sociolects. It's going to vary a whole lot from people to people. – Circeus Sep 15 '17 at 0:49
  • Thanks. So, what's the pronunciation of those two words, merde and zut? – user8611261 Sep 15 '17 at 0:56
  • @user8611261, you can hear the pronunciation using google translation: translate.google.fr/#fr/en/zut . In complement \zyt\ \mɛʁd\ – lemon Sep 15 '17 at 7:32
  • Si je me brule les doigts, je dirais; Ah merde. Mais + 1 quand même. And it means: "Oh shit", which is contextually right in French for "Damn it". – Lambie Sep 6 at 14:28

On ne peut pas se tromper avec un bon vieux "Putain!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeaDQ6sPs0

Yes there is an equivalent in French, but we cannot use it as easily as in English. I mean, in English you can put "fuck(ing)" before any noun, adjective or verb. In French, unfortunately, we can use it only with "nouns".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.