Avec un tel parfum pas très appétissant, ça risquerait de couper l’envie aux gens d’en manger.

I tend to use "couper l’envie" when something puts you off doing something casual like eating ice cream, whereas "passer l’envie" is reserved for a situation that makes you think twice about venturing to do something that may well have some serious repercussions. Given this, "passer l’envie" is often used in a mildly threatening way, the way I see it.

I can't imagine myself saying "passer l’envie" in this specific instance. Or am I reading too much into things here?

Avec un tel parfum pas très appétissant, ça risquerait de passer l’envie aux gens d’en manger.

The second form should be faire passer l'envie.

The nuance I see is for couper l'envie to be something that happens relatively quickly while faire passer l'envie is more gradual. You are right the second expression is also sometimes related to threatening situations, e.g. :

Je vais te faire passer l'envie de garer ta voiture devant mon garage !

• Hi. About "faire", what do you think of: "Voilà qui devrait lui passer l'envie de se moquer de Sophia à l'avenir !"? Somehow, I feel more comfortable leaving "faire" out in this instance. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Sep 19 '17 at 20:25
  • Yes, dropping faire happens but IMHO only in colloquial French. This doesn't match the formal tone of the remaining part of your sentence.. – jlliagre Sep 19 '17 at 20:35
  • Oh, I see. Do you think you can also drop "faire" in the construction "ça risquerait de (faire) passer l’envie aux gens d’en manger"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Sep 19 '17 at 20:37
    Dropping faire here sounds odd/incorrect to me. – jlliagre Sep 19 '17 at 21:34
  • Hi. Regarding "faire passer l'envie", how would you translate your "garage" example sentence into English? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Sep 20 '17 at 16:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.