I am a computer programmer and am adding French to one of my apps. Would it be strange to use "s'il vous plait" for alerts, and therefore, should I use "Veuillez"?

For example, when an actions fails, the message is:

Il y avait une erreur. S'il vous plaît, vérifiez votre connexion à internet et réessayez.

Is this strange? Should it be the following instead?

Il y avait une erreur. Veuillez vérifier votre connexion à internet et réessayer.

If so, I will have a million message to change. I would prefer my app feel more natural, rather than an Anglophone app translated.

Effectivement, l'utilisation de "Veuillez" est bien plus cohérente. Vous ne verrez jamais un message contenant "S'il vous plaît" dans une application. – Misery Sep 29 '17 at 7:38

Yes it will be strange if you use the phrase “S'il vous plait”, you should use “veuillez”, by the way a better message would be like this:

Une erreur s'est produite, veuillez vérifier votre connexion internet et réessayer.

• Or : Une erreur s'est produite. Veuillez vérifier votre connexion Internet et réessayer. – Distic Sep 29 '17 at 17:58

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.