Is “Comment vas-tu?” formal or casual? I have also tried asking other websites and it did not make any sense.

Please give your question a title that is about the topic you want to learn about, not about how you are feeling. Also, it would help to know what people on other websites said, so we don't repeat the same confusing explanations – sumelic Oct 5 '17 at 22:39
  • I’m upvoting this question because I’m convinced (by OP’s asking specifically about the “formal or casual” distinction instead of the “familiar or polite” [aka T/V] one) that s/he was simply (&, imo, cleverly [read: mischievously?] by throwing in a T/V aspect as a red herring trap for the unwary) asking if ... “'La forme interrogative directe inverse'=formal or casual.” ... cf: Is “Comment va[-il] le chien de votre mari” of a more formal register than “Comment va[-il] le chien de ton mari,” or is it just more polite (in recognition of the level of familiarity between the parties)? – Papa Poule Oct 6 '17 at 16:21

Comment vas-tu ?

is a formal way to ask "how are you?" to someone you tutoie.

The casual way is:

Comment tu vas ?

or just

Ça va ?

When using 'tu' it's definitely casual.

'Vous' can be formal and/or plural.

Using tu or vous is not a question of being formal or casual. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Oct 6 '17 at 14:12
  • But the form vas-tu is considerably more formal than tu vas. – AJFarmar Oct 6 '17 at 16:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.