I already read this

Why isn't a nasalised vowel used for "divin" here?

answer, but I felt like I needed a more complete answer.

I know that some nasal vowel at the end of words are denasalized during liaison (although sources seem to disagree on the exceptions), but I haven't been able to find out what the resulting vowel is. What are the rules?

For example, are the examples of words ending in "-un" or "-um" /œ̃/ that denasalize during liaison, and if so, would the resulting vowel be /y/ or /œ/?

There is no denasalization in il leur en a donné.
    – jlliagre
    Oct 11, 2017 at 14:06
  • @jlliagre, is this because the word "en" never denasalizes? Are there any words that end in "-en" that do?
    – dainichi
    Oct 11, 2017 at 14:14
    As far as I know, words ending with a consonant followed by -en do not nasalize in the first place (e.g. hymen, pollen, spécimen) except examen, réexamen and ben (for bien) . The latter keep their nasalization and rhyme with -in, not with -an like en which has a unique pronunciation. Among them, only ben might trigger a liaison. Otherwise, with words ending with a vowel followed by -en (mostly are in -ien), the denasalization is optional. Bien arrivé can be pronounced \bjɛn‿aʁive\,\bjen‿aʁive\, \bjɛ̃n‿aʁive\ or \bjɛ̃n aʁive\ (no liaison) depending on the speaker.
    – jlliagre
    Oct 11, 2017 at 20:20
  • @jlliagre "As far as I know, words ending with a consonant followed by -en do not nasalize in the first place [...]". Wow, I never realized this, I guess I had made a false generalization from non-final "en" and the one-word "en". Thanks for opening my eyes. I'll change the question.
    – dainichi
    Oct 12, 2017 at 5:14

1 Answer 1

As far as I know, words ending with -un do not denasalize when they participate in a liaison, which is rare.

The liaison is mandatory with un, aucun, commun

Un avion \ɛ̃n‿avjɔ̃\ or in a wide Paris area \œ̃n‿avjɔ̃\

D'un commun accord \komɛ̃n‿akɔʁ\ or \komœ̃n‿akɔʁ\

Aucun artiste... \okɛ̃n‿aʁtist\ or \okœ̃n‿aʁtist\

but forbidden with most if not all other words in -un like chacun, embrun, importun, opportun, jeun.

Chacun arrive... \ʃakɛ̃ aʁiv\

Words ending with -um do not nasalize in the first place. They are pronounced \ -ɔm\ , e.g. album \albɔm\

There is a unique exception : parfum \parfɛ̃\ or \parfœ̃\ which never liaises.

The cases of denasalization in French seems to be limited to finals in [ɛ̃] and [ɔ̃].

Ancien ami \ɛ̃sjɛ̃n‿ami\, \ɛ̃sjen‿ami\ or \ɛ̃sjɛn‿ami\

Son ami \sɔ̃n‿ami\ or \sɔn‿ami\

• Thanks! How about "brun"? I know it wouldn't usually cause liaison, but could it possibly come before a noun in archaic language or something?
    – dainichi
    Oct 12, 2017 at 7:37
  • I don't see any case where brun would cause a liaison.
    – jlliagre
    Oct 12, 2017 at 7:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.