So, I was wondering what one would say if one had to use the conditional with a conjunction that takes the subjunctive. “J’y allais, quoiqu’elle n’irait pas.” Is this a good example? Does one just use the conditional or something else, in colloquial usage at least? Seeing that I’m not sure how the subjunctive is used here.

I tried to say that “I was going there, although she would not (i.e., refused to) go.”

• The lower part of this CNRTL-TFLi entry for "quoique" gives some "particular cases" (apparently rejected by "purists") and some other familiar ones that use moods/tenses other than the subjunctive (including, but not only, the conditional). I can't really tell if your example fits any of these "particular/familiar cases," but their existence does at least show that you're in pretty good company in wondering if the subjunctive is always the best way to express an idea introduced by "quoique" (Balzac & Sartre,among others), so +1 for that! – Papa Poule Oct 17 '17 at 14:54
  • So in colloquial usage at least, would one use the conditional here if needed? Seeing that I’m not sure how the subjunctive is used here. – ThatLanguageGuy Oct 17 '17 at 15:11
  • ThatLanguageGuy asked: "So in colloquial usage at least, would one use the conditional here if needed? Seeing that I’m not sure how the subjunctive is used here." .... Maybe the biggest "problem" is whether using/wanting to use "quoique" here is justified in the first place (ie, is there a strong/obvious enough reverse/contrary-to-expectations connection between the 2 clauses?). Does "elle n'irait pas" in your example mean "I was going even tho she would not (refused to) go" or "...even tho she would not be going" or "...even tho she would rather not go" or something else? – Papa Poule Oct 17 '17 at 16:48
  • @PapaPoule I tried to say that “I was going there, although she would not (i.e., refused to) go.” – ThatLanguageGuy Oct 17 '17 at 17:08
    @PapaPoule D’accord ! Je vois bien maintenant comment écrire une phrase pareille. Merci pour vos conseils et votre aide. Bonne journée – ThatLanguageGuy Oct 17 '17 at 18:21

The topic seems to be encountered in FSE again in the past:

Conditional/past conditional + subjunctive?

It is still an ongoing issue for the grammarians (see the links in the aforementioned discussion).

I was going there, although she would not (i.e., refused to) go.

Here is my attempt:

J'y allais, même si elle ne voulait pas aller.

Malgré son refus d'aller, j'y allais.

Bien/Quoi qu'elle n'aurait pas voulu aller, j'y allais.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.