Je crois qu‘un profond dégoût pour ma propre personne n’a plus lieu d’être.

Peut-être qu’il ne l’a jamais été...

{or}: Peut-être qu’il ne l’a jamais eu...

I'm translating some English sentences into French, and I'm stuck on figuring out how to structure this sentence by using the pronoun "le" that corresponds to the part "n’a plus lieu d’être" in the previous sentence.

french fellow here ;)

« Peut-être qu’il ne l’a jamais été. » is the correct way. As strange as it could be (even for me), the pronoun refers to être and not to a.

May I give you a little modification on your first sentence ?

« Je crois qu‘un profond dégoût pour ma personne n’a plus lieu d’être. » -> I deleted propre because it was redundant with me ma. Your sentence was still correct and would be quite be accepted but it is a style fault.

I hope I helped you.

• Hi. How do you deal with the following construction, on the other hand? :) « Je crois que je n’ai plus à me sentir redevable. Peut-être que je ne l’a jamais {???} » – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Oct 30 '17 at 10:51
  • « Je crois que je n’ai plus à me sentir redevable. Peut-être que je ne l’ai jamais {été}. » a -> ai and ??? -> été. But... maybe this is not what you meant. If you meant that maybe you were not liable, it is the good sentence. If you meant that maybe you feeled not liable, the correct sentence would be : « Peut-être que je ne me le suis jamais senti ». – Racine Pierre-Alexandre Oct 30 '17 at 15:33
  • Oh, I'm now talking about a different sentence with a different meaning! :) In order to delve deeper into this grammatical point. Do you think "été" is the one to use in this instance, too? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Oct 30 '17 at 15:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.