Toutefois, l’administration Trump n’a pas surgi de nulle part. C’est l’aboutissement d’un processus prolongé, avec notamment le vol des élections de 2000.

{vs}: Toutefois, l’administration Trump n’a surgi de nulle part.

I intuitively grasp that the omission of "pas" sounds odd here in the light of the meaning of the sentence, but I cannot offer a rationale for using "pas" despite the presence of the negative word "nulle" that usually does not allow the addition of "pas".

I assume this is not about a double negation at work here.

{incorrect: e.g.}: Elle ne pouvait pas se cacher nulle part.

• If you want to stretch your understanding of double negation a bit, try « Rien n'existe pas » (can't remember where I first saw it but here's one usage), a modern take on the Victor Hugo quote. :) – Luke Sawczak Nov 5 '17 at 0:49
  • @LukeSawczak Can you take a look at my comment below? Now I think this is not about a double negation, after all. If we replace « de nulle part » with « subitement », it all seems straightforward enough. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Nov 5 '17 at 16:51
  • I guess it's fair to avoid calling it"double negation if we mean only verbal negation. (It's true that nulle part can't replace pas.) But in a looser usage meaning two "negative polarity" items that end up with a positive meaning... – Luke Sawczak Nov 5 '17 at 20:52

There is a double negation.

l’administration n’a pas surgi de nulle part.

means

l'administration a surgi de quelque part.

i.e., the admistration didn't emerge out of nowhere.

• Hi. How do you interpret the meaning of "Trump n’a surgi de nulle part"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Nov 4 '17 at 21:10
    I interpret it as an non idiomatic sentence. That should be either a surgi de nulle part or n'a pas surgi de nulle part – jlliagre Nov 4 '17 at 21:19
  • Hi. Shouldn’t we consider the phrase « de nulle part / subitement » to have nothing to do with negation, just like « au milieu de nulle part »? « Ce n’est pas comme si Trump avait surgi de nulle part. »: This "si" clause is an affirmative structure through and through despite the presence of the word « nulle ». So adding « ne ... pas » to « surgir de nulle part » seems like a single negation, not a double negation, the way I see it now. I think the word « nulle » had me confused there. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Nov 5 '17 at 16:45
  • I mentioned double negation because de nulle part is the negation of de quelque part like nowhere is the negation of somewhere. – jlliagre Nov 5 '17 at 17:02
  • I suspect "n'a surgi de nulle part" is not possible because it's a set phrase. Surgir de nulle part fonctions as a whole verb, which prevents "connecting" nulle and ne (already a somewhat literary construction in the first place) as a two-part negation. Just like you can't pull disjoin it into a relative: la part d'où a surgi l'administration trump is downright ungrammatical. – Circeus Nov 6 '17 at 1:57

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.