I just said in conversation:

J'en suis arrivé à connaître toute sa garde-robe, et même quel genre de vêtements elle préfère porter pour quelle occasion.

... only to realise later that I didn't place the verb "savoir" before the phrase "quel genre":

J'en suis arrivé à connaître toute sa garde-robe, et même à savoir quel genre de vêtements elle préfère porter pour quelle occasion.

Perhaps, I unwittingly saw fit to drop the 2nd verb "savoir", as I already used "connaître". But grammatically speaking, "connaître" cannot take the form of "connaître quel genre ...".

As redundant as it seems to place "connaître" and "savoir" so close to one another, is it necessary to do so, after all? Or is it acceptable to drop "savoir" as long as the sentence is understandable without it? Or maybe another solution?

• I didn't realize there was any issue with this sentence when I first read it. So I guess it's ok. – Stéphane Gimenez Nov 10 '17 at 17:16
  • Un peu en marge, mais un exemple «officiel» excessivement plus disgracieux que votre exemple, qui ne me choque pas davantage qu'il a choqué @StéphaneGimenez: le nom officiel des cours de sport dans les écoles publiques du Québec est éducation physique et à la santé. – ﺪﺪﺪ Nov 11 '17 at 17:41

Here is one way to avoid the discrepancy:

J'en suis arrivé à connaître toute sa garde-robe, et même le genre de vêtements qu'elle choisira de porter en fonction de telle ou telle occasion.

Just like we neglect the "ne" in "ne ... pas" when there is negation in a sentence, like Je veux pas instead of Je ne veux pas which means I don't want.

To answer your question, yes it does sound redundant (which is why most people would neglect it), but it is grammatically incorrect for two reasons.

1. You can't consider it implicit because they are different verbs with different meanings (not always but yes in this context).

2. If you check the information base of the Office Québécoise de la langue française, you can only neglect auxiliaries and personal pronouns.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.