Regarde(z)-moi ça !

"Regarder" is one of the most commonly used verbs with this idiosyncratic construction, there being more to the function of "moi" than meets the eye.

I wonder what other verbs can be used? I don't suppose practically anything will do, will it? What do you think about:

Visez-moi ça.

Mangez-moi ça.

Incidentally, I'm not talking about examples like the following where the use of "moi" is required and makes perfect sense.

Expliquez-moi ça.

2 Answers 2

I guess the list would be quite long.

• Sentez-moi ça
  • Goûtez-moi ça
  • Écoutez-moi ça
  • Buvez-moi ça
  • Rangez-moi ça
  • Jetez-moi ça
  • Changez-moi ça

Moi is here an ethical dative, similar to the ones discussed in that question.

• I wonder if there is a rule that determines what verbs can be used and what verbs cannot. Nov 14, 2017 at 12:03
    Probably any verb that can be used to suggest or order someone to do something with something (ça). Oubliez-moi ça !
    – jlliagre
    Nov 14, 2017 at 12:14
  • Indeed, it should necessarily be followed by a direct object (be it a pronoun, a noun or a phrase): *Pars-moi or *Rentre-moi chez toi are incorrect, but Fiche-moi le camp , range-moi ce désordre or regarde-moi ce bel enfant ! are correct.
    – Greg
    Nov 16, 2017 at 10:07
  • Another note: you can also use it with other verbal forms than the imperative, as long as there is an idea of a suggestion or order: Tu vas me goûter ça, Il faut que tu me goûtes ça, si tu m'écoutais, tu me gôuterais ça,demain, tu me goûteras ça, and even with other persons than moi/nous: d'accord, je vais te goûter ça
    – Greg
    Nov 16, 2017 at 10:56
  • @Greg Je vais te me lui faire goûter ça ! ;-)
    – jlliagre
    Nov 16, 2017 at 13:52

"moi" dans cette expression est là pour renforcer l'injonction. on pourrait dire "pour moi", ou "c'est moi qui te le demande". like starting the sentence with "I'm asking you (...)".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.