In addition to my previous question, let's say a parent tells their child, "Stop watching TV. Instead, do your homework." We could translate this into French as,

Arrête de regarder la télé. Au lieu de cela, faites tes devoirs.

In this context, which would be more appropriate: tes devoirs or vos devoirs?

You're mixing two sentences here.

It's either:

Arrête de regarder la télé et fais plutôt tes devoirs (ou va plutôt faire tes devoirs)

or:

Arrêtez de regarder la télé et faites vos devoirs.

• Why must it be one sentence and not two? – ktm5124 Dec 2 '17 at 8:13
  • You're focusing on the wrong issue. You're mixing up tu and vous, which is the main issue. Arrête is tutoiement (singulier) and thus it has to be "fais tes". I think you need to go back to basics and (re)learn the difference between tu and vous. – dda Dec 2 '17 at 8:16
  • Because it is not correct to mix the verbs and possessive articles in the singular and the plural (or, the vous form) : they are adressed to the same person(s), so you have to keep the same form. Use either arrête/fais (and then tes) or arrêtez/faites (and then vos), but you cannot mix both. It would be like addressing someone first as "tu", then "vous", it is wrong. – Greg Dec 2 '17 at 8:21
    I was just covering the possibilities. But a blueblood might well say that even today. A joke is also possible. – user45784 Dec 2 '17 at 10:29
    I wrote Arrêtez, didn't I?! And yes, they do. – user45784 Dec 2 '17 at 17:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.