Is this negative sentence correct?

Je ne connais personne qui sache lire le latin.

Should I add "pas" after "connais"?

Pas personne is not grammatical.

Should you want to add pas after connais, you would need to add de or une too:

Je ne connais pas de personne qui sache lire le latin.

Je ne connais pas une personne qui sache lire le latin.

This form works too:

Je ne connais aucune personne qui sache lire le latin.

In these three sentences, personne is no more a pronoun but a substantive, so they are not cases of double negation.

Surtout pas! il y aurait une double négation avec "personne".

You can however say:

Je ne connais pas quelqu'un qui sache lire le latin.

• This is not idiomatic at all. It sounds like you're saying you don't know someone if they read Latin. – Najib Idrissi Jan 8 '18 at 10:34
  • @NajibIdrissi I'm saying and I wrote "I don't know someone who knows how to read latin". It might not be idiomatic but it is as correct as "Je ne connais pas de mathématicien qui sache diviser par zéro." – WaterBearer Jan 8 '18 at 13:09
  • I do not think it is correct. There is a crucial difference between your answer and "Je ne connais pas de mathématicien qui sache diviser par zéro.": the preposition de. And since you can't say "de quelqu'un", you have to write "de personne", as in "je ne connais pas de personne [...]". And then you get back to jilliagre's answer. – Najib Idrissi Jan 8 '18 at 14:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.