After school, I plan on taking a quiz I missed in French class from last Friday. My teacher requires my class to almost always speak in French, so I intend on asking if I may take the test after school.

I would like to show respect using:

Puis-je (May I)...

I am asking my teacher if I can take the quiz in the future. Would this require future tense, such as:

Après l'école, puis-je passerai l'interro de vendredi?

Or,

Après l'école, puis-je passer l'interro de vendredi?

• I don't think it would be necessary to further clarify that your request is for something in the future by using the future tense, but if you want to do it anyway, I think you would put "pouvoir" in the future tense (in fact, I'd use the conditional) and not "passer" (which should remain in the infinitive, imo): "Pourrai[s]-je [re]passer/[Est-ce que je pourrais repasser] l'interro de vendredi/du vendredi passé?" – Papa Poule Dec 2 '17 at 17:10
  • In English, you wouldn't use the future so why would you in French? May I take the quiz is present. – Lambie Dec 2 '17 at 17:21

Although it may sound quite illogical since the quiz was never taken in the first place, most French students would say:

"Est-ce que je peux refaire ou repasser l'interro de vendredi après les cours?"

de is also better than du, unless you take a quiz every Friday.

nota: people tend to say "évaluation" ou "éval'" nowadays;; "l'interro" is slightly outdated.

• Why would you say refaire ou repasser if you never took it?? – Lambie Dec 2 '17 at 17:59
    Because that's what French people would say. I'm not saying it's logical but that is what you hear (and I'm a teacher in France so I hear a lot of that stuff) Est-ce que je pourrais rattraper l'éval'? is also something you could hear. In fact, yes, that's much better than the previous sentences, now that I think of it: rattraper. – user45784 Dec 2 '17 at 18:12

The good answer is "Pourrai-je passer l'interro de vendredi ?". "Puis-je passerai l'interro du vendredi ?" is not good. Basically, you should conjugate only one verb by sentence member. In your sentence, there is only one sentence member so you can only conjugate "pouvoir" and "passer" must stay at the infinitive.

• I have mistaken past tense for future tense. I say this in the updated post, but would "Puis-je passerai l'interro du vendredi?" be correct? – Bibliophile Dec 2 '17 at 16:19
  • @Distic Vous avez mis la même phrase deux fois en français? – Lambie Dec 2 '17 at 17:23
    *Puis-je passerai is not correct. Pourrai-je passer...would do the trick I suppose – user45784 Dec 2 '17 at 17:41
  • Oh, sorry: passé and passer. My apologies. Actually, the mistake would be: May I took the quiz. :) – Lambie Dec 2 '17 at 17:58
  • @Lambie: No it is "taken". Took would be "passais". – Distic Dec 3 '17 at 11:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.