Is there a conditional subjunctive?

For example, what sort of subjunctive should one use for:

J’attendrais jusqu’à ce qu’il me répondrait ?

Or does one use the présent after the subjunctive?

• I don't think there's such a thing as combining two moods in a single verb. At best, you've got one mood for the principal verb and another for the subordinate. In your example it would be "J'attendrais (cond.) jusqu'à ce qu'il me réponde (subj.)". – guillaume31 Dec 20 '17 at 14:13

We use subjonctive after « jusqu'à ». For example :

• Présent

J'attends jusqu'à ce qu'il me réponde.

• Passé

J'attendais jusqu'à ce qu'il m'ait répondu.

• Futur : There is no such thing as « subjonctif futur » in french. So, after future, we use « subjonctive présent »

J'attendrai jusqu'à ce qu'il me réponde.

• Conditionnal : we still use subjonctive after conditionnal

Si je n'étais pas pressé, j'attendrais jusqu'à ce qu'il me réponde.

From Le bon usage, §899e in the 14th edition, as translated (a bit freely) by me:

In the clause following a present conditional , we can use either the imparfait or the present of the subjunctive, as Littré already noted, furthermore adding that the present “is better than imparfait and is less affected and less purist”.

If we pay close attention to nuances, we shall elect the imparfait when it is about an unreal fact, as Gide noted: « Il est bon de dire : “Je voudrais qu’il devienne un honnête homme” – et non : qu’il devînt et garder ce temps pour indiquer que ce désir ou souhait a pris fin, que l’on a cessé d’espérer. »

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.