This documentary film hit me right in the feels, making me bawl like a baby.

This is a colloquial expression that means more or less the same as "X got me emotionally". I'd express this idea in French as:

Ce film documentaire, ça m'a profondément touché / ému.

... but I wonder if there are other expressions that fit the tone of "X hit me right in the feels"?

Me, I was trying to figure out how one says “hit me right in the feels” in English in the first place. :) Apparently using feels for feelings was exquisitely rare in English up until just a few years ago when it surfaced as hip teenage slang, the sort of thing most of us need subtitles to understand. :) – tchrist Dec 25 '17 at 14:48
  • Not only hip, but cutesy. Definitely still an evolving expression. Currently hearing things like "The feels!" and crossovers with "all the things": "All the feels!" Incidentally, for this reason it doesn't jive well with the stuffy-sounding "documentary film" or the rest of that sentence structure. Prefer "That movie hit me right in the feels. I was bawling like a baby." (Hopefully these notes are helpful to equivalent-hunters.) – Luke Sawczak Dec 25 '17 at 15:11
  • @LukeSawczak You'd even read "dem feels" on places as 9gag. – Right leg Dec 27 '17 at 11:16
  • @Rightleg So you would. Though I put in every effort to avoid the place... – Luke Sawczak Dec 27 '17 at 13:56
  • And the official outreach to patrons of the Toronto International Film Festival just sent an email with the subject "All. The. Feels." – Luke Sawczak Dec 30 '17 at 17:58

I didn't know the English phrase but this might match it:

Ce documentaire1 m'a pris aux tripes.

1Documentaire is now used as a substantive when referring to a movie so we usually drop film.

| improve this answer | |
  • Interesting. Does it belong to informal register, being more casual than my version? By the way, do you detect any nuance between "toucher" and "emouvoir"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Dec 25 '17 at 15:42
  • Yes, prendre aux tripes is less formal than toucher and émouvoir which are synonymous here. – jlliagre Dec 25 '17 at 15:58

You could use "remuer" or "secouer", that mean the same as "émouvoir", which translate as "move":

Ce documentaire m'a secoué.

Ce documentaire m'a remué.

These can be used along with "tripes" (which means "guts"):

Ça m'a remué les tripes.

You could even use "secoué" on its own:

Après (avoir vu) ce documentaire, j'étais secoué.

These days, "choquer" made its come-back, so the following would be pretty much colloquial as well:

J'étais choqué. J'ai été choqué par ce documentaire.

In addition, I'd say it would all become much more colloquial with an adverb:

Ça m'a complètement choqué. Ça m'a carrément secoué.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi. Is it just me, but "secouer" seems to always carry a negative connotation, like: "The incident shook her up quite a bit". As such, saying "ce documentaire m'a secoué" sounds to me as if this documentary film had a negative psychological impact on her. "X hit me right in the feels" is more about 感動 in a positive sense. :) What do you think? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Dec 26 '17 at 16:30
  • 感动/感動する do mean "move" or "émouvoir", all in a neutral sense. "Secouer", in this colloquial meaning, does mean the same as "émouvoir". It does not bear any negative meaning, it's just rather strong. Well, you couldn't say "secouer" with a strongly positive feeling, like "secoué par le bonheur", although it could appear somewhat poetic... – Right leg Dec 26 '17 at 16:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.