I just heard this colloquial sentence on YouTube:

Mais je suis sûr que je peux lui rendre le sourire si je l’emmène manger un parfait arc-en-ciel, t'en fais pas !

You cannot eat a "rainbow" to begin with. The possibility of "poisson arc-en-ciel" occurred to me, too, but there is no particular mention of any fish, either.

Then I wonder... Could it be about eating various fruits and vegetables of different colours as diverse as those of a rainbow?

enter image description here

I am not familiar with this pastry, but I wonder if this person did not mean un parfait (noun, not adjective), which is a certain kind of cake. But I have no idea how it could be arc-en-ciel... Maybe there is a variant where the parfait is made with various fruits, as you suggest ? I only know the parfaits made with vanilla or chocolate... – Greg Dec 28 '17 at 19:30
    Rainbow parfaits – Luke Sawczak Dec 28 '17 at 20:15
  • Some context would probably help this sentence is pretty confusing. – user15796 Dec 28 '17 at 20:51
    It would be "elle". You could perfectly say Je l'emmène manger. Mais moi je ne mangerai rien, j'ai déjà mangé. – Greg Dec 29 '17 at 11:30
    @LukeSawczak 770 cals... (haha) We'd be hard pressed to find that type of colourful sweets in Japan! No wonder the phrase "manger un parfait arc-en-ciel" didn't make sense to me. :D – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Dec 30 '17 at 16:17

Given the comment thread, it seems safe to offer this reparsing, owed entirely to Greg:

un parfait « arc-en-ciel » → un parfait couleur arc-en-ciel

There are various dishes called a « parfait », but the dessert glacé (also see more detailed English version) seems like the most likely one.

Searching for « parfait arc-en-ciel » suggests that the rainbow could be achieved either by dye or by using something like your fruit hypothesis to constitute the « parfum » of the parfait.

Dye

Fruit

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi, Luke. I'm curious -- Does Starbucks in Canada offer sweets and drinks with glaring colours like these? :D – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Apr 7 '18 at 6:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.