A native French person recently wrote to me, saying "assé" instead of assez (meaning "enough")...

Is this normal in informal writing?

Spelling shortcuts are common in textos/SMSs, and one that will require less characters seems to be quite welcome in general. So one could think assé could be a quicker way to spell assez, but it is likely not the case, because typing an accentuated letter on most touch-screen devices takes longer than typing two letters (hold the finger for a moment on the letter you want an accent on, then slide the finger to select the accent you want, then let go).

Most devices also have an auto-complete option that will let people choose assez, which again makes it quicker to type than assé.

Also, assez is common enough a word for someone to know its spelling, unless one actively wants to disregard it, for a stylistic purpose or other.

I haven’t really been exposed to assé, and I suspect it is rather rare, even in informal texts. It really doesn’t have much to promote itself: it is incorrect and longer to type, and it’s not even introducing a possible alternate pronunciation.

On the other hand, as pointed out in the comments below, one might expect AC as an abbreviation of assez in SMS.

| improve this answer | |
    In SMS speak, I'd rather simply expect AC – jlliagre Jan 15 '18 at 21:40
  • @jlliagre Good point! It still won't make "assé" common, though. And that was the question. May I use your comment in the answer? – Pas un clue Jan 16 '18 at 0:26
  • Of course you can! – jlliagre Jan 16 '18 at 1:20

I think that this person is not very good at spelling. The correct form is:

Assez

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.