I recently received this sentence in an email, and I was unsure about the subtle difference between dire and se dire.

Nous essayons de donner une vision fidèle de ce qui s’est dit durant le conseil.

My initial assumption is that se dire is roughly 'to be said' with a focus on the language actually being spoken whereas dire focuses the attention on the speaker. Is avoir été dit not proper French?

The passive voice is one of the many meanings the reflexive can have, and has here, as you thought. – Luke Sawczak Feb 6 '18 at 13:30

yes, you could translate

ce qui s'est dit

by

what have been said

you could also say

... une vision fidèle de ce qui a été dit ...

but beware, in some case "il s'est dit" = "he told himself"
"Il s'est dit que ce serait une bonne idée" means "He told himself it would be a great idea"

• So, that is to say that in this case, there is no significant difference between ce qui s'est dit and ce qui a été dit? Does one feel more natural than the other, or is it simply a matter of preference? – KGR Feb 6 '18 at 14:24
    I think it is simply a matter of preference. For me there is no difference between the 2 forms. – ON5MF Jurgen Feb 6 '18 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.