I am trying to find a French translation for the word 'house', in the context of school. In England, schools are divided into 'houses' of students, like a group- this may not be a literal, physical entity though. Google translate gives 'maison d'école' which I think is a bit too literal- is there a proper word for it?

  • What is a school "house"? Somewhere where the students sleep?
    – N.I.
    Commented Feb 9, 2018 at 12:34
  • @NajibIdrissi I edited my question for the definition
    – S.L
    Commented Feb 9, 2018 at 12:36

2 Answers 2


If you mean "house" like "Gryffindor" in Harry Potter for example, it is translated as maison, so we do in fact use the literal translation ;)


Not sure, maybe "confrérie" (fraternities with names made up of Greek letters like "Delta Kappa Epsilon"...) You can also say "fraternité" (for boys) or "sororité" for girls

  • Isn't it an US thing? never seen such thing in England Commented Feb 9, 2018 at 13:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.