Mange-t-il le gâteau?

Le gâteau has to be replaced using a direct complement pronoun (le) but where do I place it? The rule says behind the verb but here it can't be done.

"the rule says behind the verb" What rule? – Teleporting Goat Mar 2 '18 at 15:04
  • On mange du gâteau ; remplace avec le partitif ou le sandwich ? Sinon, "En mange-t-il ?" – livresque Aug 2 at 10:48

There are various alternatives:

1. Est-ce qu'il le mange ? (both formal and informal)
  2. Il le mange ? (with rising intonation; rather informal)
  3. Le mange-t-il ? (the most formal version)

In case of the passé composé (perfect in English), the respective phrases are as follow:

1. Est-ce qu'il l'a mangé ? (both formal and informal)
  2. Il l'a mangé ? (that is, with rising intonation; rather informal)
  3. L'a-t-il mangé ? (the most formal version)

Note that gateau is masculine. In the case of a feminine noun like la confiture we would write (phonetically there is no difference), respectively:

1. Est-ce qu'il l'a mangée ? (both formal and informal)
  2. Il l'a mangée ? (with rising intonation; rather informal)
  3. L'a-t-il mangée ? (the most formal version)

This is due to a phenomenon called "accord du participe passé".

« Le mange-t-il » I think but not a sentence I would say IRL. (French native here)

• Umm thanks. I thought the same too, but it seemed weird. – Rayyan Asif Khan Mar 1 '18 at 19:35
    @RayyanAsifKhan It's because "Mange-t-il le gâteau ?" is weird to begin with (subject inversion is very uncommon in spoken language). – Teleporting Goat Mar 2 '18 at 14:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.