I recently learned the expression "se faire des films" or "se faire tout un film".

I am wondering what the meaning and grammatical role is of the word "tout".

For example, if I consider

Tu te fais un film

I can translate (literally) as "You make to yourself a film". That is, the "te" is an indirect object, and "un film" is a direct object.

But with

Tu te fais tout un film

, I'm not sure what "tout" does.

• Is it an adverb, modifying "fais", meaning "in a way that does it 100% completely", to give the sentence "You make to yourself, in a 100% complete way, a film"?
  • Or is it instead some kind of additional object, meaning something like "everything that exists", as in "You make (to yourself) everything that exists into a film"?
  • Or is it an adjective modifying "un film", meaning "You make (to yourself) a complete film"?
    "Film" is a masculine word. "Un film". If you are not sure about the gender of a word, don't guess, open a dictionary... – Najib Idrissi Mar 2 '18 at 11:18

It's the third option. (You make (to yourself) a complete film). It would be a better translation to use "whole" instead of complete.

It basically just amplifies what's behind it, like it's not just a "mini-movie" or a short, he's really imagining a whole movie (so he's imagining something way too big that will never happen).

Other example :

-T'as un pansement ? Tu t'es fait quoi au doigt ? (You have a band-aid? What happened to your finger?)

-Oh, c'est toute une histoire (Oh it's a whole story)

i.e. there's so much leading to that event that the events make a whole story.

• 1) Why is it "fait" instead of "fais" in "Tu t'es fait quoi au doigt"? 2) If I had wanted to modify the verb ("fais") instead, in "Tu te fais un film", would it be "Tu te tout fais un film"? – silph Mar 3 '18 at 9:23
  • @silph 1) It's past participle, like "J'ai mangé" or "Je me suis trompé" : "Je me suis fait" (the conjugated verb is the auxiliary, être). – Teleporting Goat Mar 3 '18 at 15:11
  • @silph 2) No, why would it be that way? "Tout" stays close to the noun "Tout un film", "toute une histoire" – Teleporting Goat Mar 3 '18 at 15:12

In this sentence, "tout" is an indefinite adjective, modifying the indefinite article "un" of "un film". It is used to denote the idea of a "whole/entire" thing, here an "entire movie". Basically, if you say "se faire tout un film", you are not just imagining a movie, you are imagining a whole movie, from A to Z, which involves more effort, goes into more details...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.