How does one distinguish between earphones? There are headphones that sit on your ears, over your ears and those that are called earbuds and then there are insert earphones (slightly different to earbuds). How does one call these different types of earphones?

1 Answer 1


we use
casque for headphones (we also use casque for helmet)
more precisely:

casque à conduction osseuse for bone conduction headphones
casque circum aural for Circum
casque on-ear for Supra
we do use the English to make distinction between these types, but it's to be specific, in normal life you will use casque

écouteurs for earbuds

I don't see what insert earphones are, maybe écouteurs intra-auriculaires if insert earphones = earbubs that go deep into the ear

  • 1
    Sweet. I was looking for intra-auriculaires. Boy is that a mouth full. That describes them perfectly. Because there is Supra (against ear), Circum (around/over ear) and Intra (inside ear).
    – CaptainBli
    Commented Mar 7, 2018 at 17:37
  • 1
    on the other hand, I don't know the french word to make a difference between circum/on-ear headphones. When I was looking to buy one, the english word was used everywhere: casque circum aural et casque on-ear Commented Mar 8, 2018 at 9:02
  • 2
    @Flying_whale: j'ai entendu circum-aural / circum-auriculaire pour les casques qui entourent l'oreille et supra-aural / supra-auriculaire pour ceux qui sont juste posés dessus.
    – mouviciel
    Commented Mar 8, 2018 at 12:04
  • 2
    j'ajouterai le "casque à conduction osseuse" (bone conduction headphones) à la liste :)
    – Atarax
    Commented Mar 9, 2018 at 12:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.