I know there's the term "en ligne" to mean online. What I'm wondering is, is the term "online" used as well? How commonly?

The context is, I'm buying a domain name for the phrase [french word]-online.fr, and I'm wondering whether to choose [french word]-online.fr or [french word]-enligne.fr. Which sounds better?

The trend is probably still for English sounding names for brands and web sites but that might depend on what "[french word]" is too.

You might also use xxx-en-ligne.fr.

• If the first word is unmistakably French, but used mainly within business context (sorry, I can't go into detail here), is it a good idea to combine it with online? – Tin Man Apr 15 '18 at 11:07
  • One ridiculous example: juridiction-online.fr — how does that sound? – Tin Man Apr 15 '18 at 11:10
  • It sounds pretty bad. I would recommend juridiction-en-ligne.fr, juristes-en-ligne, palais-de-justice-en-ligne.fr, and so on. – jlliagre Apr 15 '18 at 13:58
  • One more thing (sorry to bother)—is it alright to omit all hyphens? E.g. juridictionenligne.fr ? – Tin Man Apr 15 '18 at 22:24
    There is no rule. Sometimes it should be avoided because that gives unintelligible text but that's not the case here. – jlliagre Apr 15 '18 at 22:29

May be I am wrong but making a quick googling I got the impression that the trend are web adresses of the form that @jlliagre suggests. For instance

www.academie-en-ligne.fr

I did also find some sites without the hyphen (tiret).

Here are is a relative Ngram.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.