I just want to know what is the meaning of "ça ne va pas comme ça" or "ça va pas comme ça". I thought it does mean "it doesn't work that way" just like "ça marche pas comme ça" or something like that. I can't find any related result on Google. I'm asking this question because Ive used this phrase 1000 times when I was in France.

• Another option: It's not working out the way you're doing it – Luke Sawczak Apr 22 '18 at 12:31

From my point of view, "comme ça" designates the way a specific thing is happening.

I would use the sentence "ça ne va pas comme ça" to emphasize the fact that I don't agree with the way itself ("comme ça").

Let's make an example:

"Maman, je peux mélanger le beurre avec la farine ?"

"Bien sûr, montre-moi comment tu fais."

[...]

"Non, ça ne va pas comme ça ! Prends la cuillère avec ta main droite et fais des tours plus rapides, comme ça."

*elle lui montre le bon geste *

A clearer (maybe) way of phrase it could be : "Comme ça, ça ne va pas", where the coma separates better the two parts of the sentence.

• are you french? – formxoop Apr 20 '18 at 15:51
  • Yes I am French. :) – Reyedy Apr 20 '18 at 16:00
  • My pleasure, have a nice weekend. ;) – Reyedy Apr 20 '18 at 16:03

I think best translation would be : "It's not correct that way"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.