I'm searching for the best, most natural and usual translation for "Faculty of Electrical Engineering" to French.

I see that there are possible false cognates, so I'm not sure if it is Faculté d'ingénierie Électrique, Faculté de Génie Électrique or something else.

Can anyone help me, please? Thank you

  • Is that a "School" name? Which one? If so, we don't use a lot "Faculté" in France (except for some fields) less in Engineering fields. We tend to use Université instead. Is it for a CV/resumé?
    – Larme
    May 10, 2018 at 18:33

1 Answer 1


I would propose, based on my experience:

Faculté de Génie Électrique.

In general Génie translates Engineering in this context.


Génie des Matériaux (Material Engineering),

Génie Civil (Civil Engineering),

Génie Mécanique (Mechanical Engineering),

Génie des Procédés (Process Engineering)

and so on.

You may use Université but I think you will be also understood even if you use Faculté.

A useful link:



See also the question here:

Translation of "Engineering"

  • Also see this for faculté. Thanks!
    – user3177
    May 11, 2018 at 18:42
  • 1
    Merci pour le lien !
    – Dimitris
    May 11, 2018 at 21:42
  • "Université" is used for the whole academic school, a "Faculté" is a part of an "Université". E.g. "Université Lyon 1" but "Faculté de médecine" (which is a part of the previous). Mar 5, 2019 at 17:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.