I grew up in Geneva Switzerland and on a visit there last year I was asked what I do and completely drew a blank. I eventually said "programmeur" but that just means "programmer" which could be anything. But as a Software Engineer I build software front to back using a variety of technologies. I googled it but apparently "Ingenieur de logiciel" is not really a thing? I'm so confused there's no straightforward "this is what software engineers are called in france".

Programmeur is not that much used nowadays.

I would suggest one of:

Développeur (widely used term)

Ingénieur en développement logiciel (a bit formal)

Ingénieur en génie logiciel (to be used in a CV more than a conversation)

Pôle Emploi is reporting more than 80 different names for this occupation and its variants (toggle the Appellations métier + icon).

See also “Ingénieur du logiciel” or “ingénieur en logiciel”?

• I usually use the term développeur logiciel but I guess the rest of your answers are also used – guillau4 May 25 '18 at 9:04
  • @guillau4 Yes, developpeur logiciel is also used and even official – jlliagre May 25 '18 at 10:22

Here in Quebec we use

ingénieur logiciel

I cannot speak for other francophone countries, but a quick search on different french job search websites gave me a fair amount of Ingénieur logiciel. Actual people from France could confirm.

It is in the same vein as

Computer engineer > ingénieur informatique

or

IT engineer > ingénieur TI

Same thing with non-IT fields:

civil engineer > ingénieur civil

or

mechanical engineer > ingénieur mécanique.

• Thanks, but I read somewhere that ingenieur implies that you actually have a formal degree in engineering. – codemon May 30 '18 at 18:22
  • In many places, engineer is a protected title while engineering is a protected act for those who are registered as engineers. Since you called yourself an engineer, I thought this was the case. – Jim P. May 30 '18 at 19:44
  • No I call myself a Software Engineer because that's my work title, and yeah we do "engineer" solutions to business problems. But I'm not an Engineer in the formal sense. – codemon May 31 '18 at 16:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.