To me it sounds the same as: 'à propos de..' or 'par rapport à..' and 'au sujet de..' but I am not sure if it is a bit different.

• Searching for it online I found this is a French word/expression used also in English conveying kinda the same meaning... – Laurent S. May 30 '18 at 14:55

'vis-à-vis' is more about two things, the meaning is very similar to 'par rapport' but is more used for confrontation between two things:

"Quant à la question de la dépréciation de l'euro vis-à-vis du dollar, soulevée par l'autre partie intéressée, il est admis [...] "

"With regard to the issue of the depreciation of the euro against the dollar raised by the other interested party, it was [...]"

Here 'vis-à-vis' confronts the Euro and the Dollar but 'Par rapport' could have been used too.

In addition to Tim's answer I would like to say that vis-à-vis could also be used in housing context.

un appartement sans vis-à-vis

means an apartment with no other apartment in front of it

In addition to the above answers, it's important to note that when followed by a noun, it's vis-à-vis de in French, whereas in English it's just "vis-à-vis" (or "vis-a-vis").

Quelle est notre position vis-à-vis de ces développements ?

What is our position vis-a-vis these developments?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.