Could I say:

J'ai acheté des gâteaux pour la pâtisserie.

I don't mean here the shop (magasin) but for dessert or comme candy.

• Some already answered to that in your previous question. – guillau4 Jun 7 '18 at 14:31
    Please take this comment with a healthy dose of non-native salt, but perhaps one way that might come somewhat close to using "pâtisserie" like you are suggesting/asking about (i.e., to mean dessert/confectionery course in general [but not so much for candy]) would be in the form of "comme pâtisserie": “Hier, j’ai acheté/fait/servi/commandé des gateaux/un gâteau comme patisserie." – Papa Poule Jun 7 '18 at 16:00

No, "la pâtisserie" is the shop. "J'ai acheté des gâteaux pour la pâtisserie" means only one thing in french: "J'ai acheté des gâteaux pour les mettre dans la pâtisserie".

• It was in the exam of bacc today and the words in brackets was only [ * chez -*de- pour] and i think "de" couldn't be and "chez" too – user179312 Jun 7 '18 at 13:59
  • As said in you other post the best answer is "de" for this exact sentence. Even if in France we'd rather say "à". – Tim Lepage Jun 7 '18 at 14:05
    This is wrong. "pâtisserie" is not only the shop. It's also the cake. – Nek Jun 7 '18 at 14:19
    It definitely depend on the context. You can say "La pâtisserie que Jean m'a apportée jeudi était super bonne.", and in this context it's a little cake. – Nek Jun 7 '18 at 14:23
    La pâtisserie can also mean the technique for cooking pastry. Ex: il fait de très bons petis gâteaux, il maîtrise bien la pâtisserie. But whatever the meaning is (the cake, the shop, or the technique), j'ai acheté des gâteaux pour la pâtisserie does not make much sense. – Greg Jun 7 '18 at 14:55

No.

"Pâtisserie" means either "the bakery", the practice of baking, or "the baked good". The phrase would be translated to English as "I bought cake for the bakery" which is grammatically correct but does not have the meaning you're looking for.

From reading your context in the comments, your setup was to choose the right word for

"J'ai acheté des gâteaux X la pâtisserie."

where X can be one of {chez, de, pour} and have meaning

"I bought cake from the bakery"

For this situation, "de" would have been the correct answer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.