I have seen that there are cases where a word will end in a consonant and the next will begin in a vowel, yet it is correct to not use a liaison. It is apparently not as simple as French learners are first taught.

How can you know whether or not two words should be linked by a liaison when spoken aloud, assuming the first ends in a consonant and the second begins with a vowel?

I have even heard of cases where it depends on the speaker's intended meaning, and I find this very unclear.

closed as too broad by Gilles Jun 17 '18 at 21:56

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

There are three categories: required, optional, and impossible. Besides other questions (see the "related" panel to the right), these are detailed here on English Wikipedia and even better here on French Wikipedia. If you're still unclear on them I can try to boil some of the rules from those sources down into an answer for this thread but it probably won't happen today. – Luke Sawczak Jun 17 '18 at 17:03
  • Thanks, great resource! Not sure if I should delete the question based on someone having pointed out a resource that addresses it? – porque_no_les_deux Jun 17 '18 at 17:24

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.