Il a toujours eu des goûts trèees particuliers.

Today in conversation with my colleagues, I wanted to euphemistically allude to someone's bizarre taste in fashion, sugar-coating the idea of "there's no accounting for tastes".

I used the adjective "particulier" after a somewhat prolonged vowel sound: "trèees", but I'm not sure if "particulier" sounds euphemistic enough. In any case, I'm looking for other phrasings that get the job done.

• If you want to convey that the vowel sound is prolonged, write the vowel multiple times: trééés. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Jun 26 '18 at 20:20
    @Gilles Oh, do you mean "trèèès"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jun 26 '18 at 20:42
  • Oops, yes. (I don't think there's a canonical French equivalent for “Skitt's law”. It isn't exactly a case of l'arroseur arrosé, but close.) – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Jun 26 '18 at 21:40
  • @Gilles on pourrait lancer "loi de MuphRy" comme expression "franssaize" ;-) – radouxju Jun 27 '18 at 6:50
  • I often use "interesting" and "special" as [thinly veiled] euphemisms for "bizarre" in English, but as far as I can tell, while using "avoir des goûts [disons ...] intéressants" might work in French, I'd avoid using "avoir des goûts spéciaux" except where it would fit the particular job that one needs to get done! – Papa Poule Jun 28 '18 at 13:21

I would say

Il a toujours eu des goûts un peu particuliers.

You can say “très” instead of “un peu”, but then the sentence is emphatic, not euphemistic.

Another way to indicate that someone has eccentric tastes is

Il a toujours eu des goûts bien à lui.

(Here “bien” means “very”, not “good”: his tastes are very much his own.)

| improve this answer | |

Your suggestion of "particulier" is a good one. You could also use "des goûts très originaux".

If you want a typical expression (similar to "there is no accounting for tastes"), you could use :

Les goûts et les couleurs, ça ne se discute/dispute pas. 

or

Des goûts et les couleurs, on ne discute pas.

This means that his tastes are not like yours, but this is not something that you could argue about.

EDIT: as mentioned in the comments, you could also drop the second part if you are talking to native speakers.

Comme quoi, les goûts et les couleurs...
| improve this answer | |
  • Dropping the second half packs more punch, I take it? Something like: "Enfin bon, les goûts et les couleurs, hein ?" – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jun 27 '18 at 8:31
  • yes, you could say that – radouxju Jun 27 '18 at 10:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.