I'm looking for the translation of the mathematical term Partie stable.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Partie means "subset."

The term partie stable would be translated as "stable subset."

Or: "A subset stable under a function f [or closed under an operation X]."

Let f be a mapping from a set E to itself, and let S be a subset of E. The subset S is said to be stable under f if f(S) is contained in S.

• Thank you for your contribution (+1). The term is meant to be used in algebraic structures: Partie stable d’un loi de composition intern. – Ayoub Falah Jul 1 '18 at 4:38
    Partie stable pour une loi de composition interne. The subset is stable for the operation, not of the operation. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:23
  • @jlliagre The distinction between asking what something means and asking how to translate it is not always clear-cut. The injunction not to ask for translations makes the most sense when applied to a text of some length rather than to an isolated expression. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:25
    All right. I'm always fascinated by the fact that SE sites expend so much energy on these kinds of things. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:47
    @Toto I proposed an edit of the question so that it would comply with site rules. I also see that you voted to close the question. I'm curious as to why one would vote to close a question but also reject an edit that would make the question compliant with the site rules. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 10:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.