I'm looking for the translation of the mathematical term Partie stable.

I appreciate any suggestions.

closed as off-topic by jlliagre, Najib Idrissi, Toto, Stéphane Gimenez Jul 1 '18 at 10:53

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "We are not a text translation or proofreading service. If you're translating into French, be specific about the word or expression you want help with, and explain the meaning and provide context. If you're asking about the correctness of a sentence, tell us which specific word or construction you are unsure about." – Najib Idrissi, Toto
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Partie means "subset."

The term partie stable would be translated as "stable subset."

Or: "A subset stable under a function f [or closed under an operation X]."

Let f be a mapping from a set E to itself, and let S be a subset of E. The subset S is said to be stable under f if f(S) is contained in S.

• Thank you for your contribution (+1). The term is meant to be used in algebraic structures: Partie stable d’un loi de composition intern. – Ayoub Falah Jul 1 '18 at 4:38
    Partie stable pour une loi de composition interne. The subset is stable for the operation, not of the operation. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:23
  • @jlliagre The distinction between asking what something means and asking how to translate it is not always clear-cut. The injunction not to ask for translations makes the most sense when applied to a text of some length rather than to an isolated expression. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:25
    All right. I'm always fascinated by the fact that SE sites expend so much energy on these kinds of things. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 8:47
    @Toto I proposed an edit of the question so that it would comply with site rules. I also see that you voted to close the question. I'm curious as to why one would vote to close a question but also reject an edit that would make the question compliant with the site rules. – Dave Jul 1 '18 at 10:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.