I have some questions with regard to the liaison between a noun and its first adjective, as well as the subsequent adjectives. I know that in the phrase "des langues étrangères", the "s" makes liaison as /z/. However, I don't know if I should make a liaison for "un étudiant actif étranger".

Should it be

Eu-né-tu-dian-tac-ti-vé-tran-gé ?

or should it be

Eu-né-tu-dia-nac-ti-fé-tran-gé ?

Moreover, how about "un étudiant curieux étranger"?

• By the way, there's never a case of liaison that turns "actif" into "active" afaik. – Teleporting Goat Jul 23 '18 at 12:18
  • @Teleporting Goat Thanks for the heads-up. I was affected by the liaison for "neuf heures". – Jimmy Jul 24 '18 at 2:02

There's no liaison between étudiant and actif, and neither between actif and étranger (where do you get that from?). There's always a liaison after un though.

So it's:

Un-né-tu-dian-ac-tif-é-tran-gé

And I don't think there's ever a liaison after curieux.

Rule of thumb of the comments, condensed:

Generally, in a sentence with [article]+[noun]+[adjective], there's a liaison on the noun, but not on the adjective after the noun.

Ex:

Des zhistoires ( )étranges

Whereas in [article]+[adjective]+[noun], there is a liaison both on the adjective and on the noun.

Des zétranges zhistoires

Of course, this applies only if the words can have a liaison. There's no liaison in "Un grand bûcheron" for example.

• Because "langues étrangères" needs liaison, I thought maybe "étudiant actif" needs liaison as well. Does it mean only plural nouns need a liaison? – Jimmy Jul 23 '18 at 9:22
  • @Jimmy Actually, liaisons are a little more complicated than that. It depends more on habits than on rules as to what gets a liaison and what doesn't. (For example, a lot of people say "langues étrangères" with a liaison but it's not an obligation). – Teleporting Goat Jul 23 '18 at 9:34
  • @Jimmy As a rule of thumb, most liaison happen on nouns, and rarely on adjectives. Ex: "Des zimmeubles", "Des grands zimmeubles", but "Des zimmeubles immenses" (no liaison on "immense"). "Langues étrangères" is actually kind of an exception. – Teleporting Goat Jul 23 '18 at 9:36
  • Merci beaucoup ! – Jimmy Jul 23 '18 at 10:09
    There is certainly a liaison after curieux in some cases, with a "z" sound. Try to pronounce "de curieux échafaudages" for example (yes, I can see construction work outside my office window). – Najib Idrissi Jul 23 '18 at 10:54

Depending on which one is the noun and which one is the adjective, the liaison might be done or not:

Un curieux (z) étranger: A curious foreigner (liaison possible but optional)

Un curieux étranger: A foreign onlooker (forbidden liaison because curieux is singular)

Un étudiant curieux étranger and étudiant actif étranger are not very idiomatic. We'd rather say either:

Un étudiant étranger curieux / Un étudiant étranger actif

or

Un curieux étudiant étranger.

• So I guess there's no liaison for "un cours étranger" because the "cours" here is singular, but for "des cours étrangers", there is liaison since "cours" is plural? – Jimmy Jul 24 '18 at 1:59
  • Yes, the liaison is forbidden in the first case and optional in the second one. – jlliagre Jul 24 '18 at 6:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.