I am a French language beginner from India. When I introduce myself, how do I say "I am an Indian" or "I am from India"? The books I learn from are giving for other nationalities but not mine. I need some help.

You can go with many sentences like:

• Je suis indien (indienne for the feminine) [I am an Indian]
  • Je viens d'Inde [I come from India]
  • Je suis originaire d'Inde [~= I am from India]
  • Je suis né(e) en Inde [I was born in India]

And if you are still a citizen of India:

• Je suis de nationalité Indienne [I have Indian nationality]
  • Je suis citoyen(ne) d'Inde [I am a citizen of India]
  • What about «Je vien de l'Inde»? – Abhimanyu Arora Aug 21 '13 at 9:30
    @AbhimanyuArora When I read Je viens de l'Inde, I initially corrected to Je viens d'Inde. Then I thought again and agreed with Je viens de l'Inde. Then I thought some more and became confused. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Sep 13 '13 at 18:06

You can either use "Je suis indien / indienne", or, if you want to avoid confusion with Native Americans, "Je viens d'Inde".

Au Québec, on a inventé le terme "Amérindien" (Indien d'Amérique) ce qui, théoriquement, devrait empêcher la confusion entre les deux provenances possibles pour les "Indiens". Mais ce terme n'est pas utilisé par tous. À remarquer, que plusieurs utilisent à mauvais escient "Hindou" alors qu'ils veulent parler des "Indiens de l'Inde".

• +1 for daring to mention the continued misuse of “Hindou” in this context. Even my trusty “Le Robert” (granted, the 1998 edition) makes this over-generalization by blanketly equating India, Indians, and all things indian to the civilization and practitioners of Brahmanism under its entry for “hindou/e.” Although perhaps not as ‘dated’ (read offensive) as the inclusion of “Peaux-Rouges” under its entry for “indien/ne,” I do take it as another sign that it’s obviously time for me to get a new edition, just as it’s obviously long overdue for the Washington Redskins to get a new name. – Papa Poule Apr 22 '15 at 13:34
  • Why are you even discussing Quebec?? – Lambie Dec 28 '16 at 19:05

"Je viens de l'Inde" is what has been taught to me

Sorry but Je viens de l'Inde is incorrect in French. – Zistoloen Sep 19 '13 at 13:49

certainly do NOT say Je suis d'Inde although I fancy je suis de l;Inde is not impossible. There is I think a tendency to say "de l'Inde" rather than "d'Inde" (with venir too) because of what you might call the "turkey" factor.

• Absolutely not true. "De l'Inde" is not correct, and generaly "de + le" does not exist. "De + le" = "du", and "de + l' " = "d' ". So definitely say "d'Inde". And what are you calling the "turkey" factor ? – Guillaume Fache Apr 23 '15 at 11:41
  • "d'Inde" sounds like "dinde", which is the word for "turkey". At least, that's what I think he meant to say. – Paul Picard Apr 27 '15 at 11:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.