I was reading a book and saw a character say "C'est quoi ce brol ?" I couldn't find the word in any dictionary. I do wish there was a decent Urban Dictionary for French, but there isn't. What does this word mean and why isn't it in dictionaries?

It's an informal expression presumably confined to use in Belgium, which accounts for the difficulty in looking up the word.

Doesn't "C'est quoi ce brol ?" remind you of a similarly structured "C'est quoi ce truc ?"? Yes, "brol" basically means "truc", though "brol" has a more pejorative sense like "what is this stupid thing?".

On the other hand, "brol" can also mean "a place in a shambles", but the first meaning applies to its use in "C'est quoi ce brol ?".

• I modified your answer slightly to capture the idea better, I think! – temporary_user_name Aug 2 '18 at 20:22
  • maybe "meaningless thing" ? – Random Aug 3 '18 at 16:57

"Brol" is a belgicism. The general meaning is some kind of messy situation. See here: https://mobile-dictionary.reverso.net/francais-definition/brol

For example, entering the room of your kids, you could probably more than often ask:

C'est quoi ce brol ?

This is probably the meaning in your example

I've heard it quite often used also to describe an unidentified thing. Kinda as a synonym for "truc" or "machin". You could then ask the same question about let's say a mysterious email you received or a strange object on a colleague's desk, or some piece of contemporary art...

All my examples are real life ones, I use them on a regular basis.

Note this would only be understood by Belgian French speakers and is very familiar, while being slightly pejorative, so you may not be able to use it a lot yourself :-)

Also fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/brol Without knowing the word, I would have understood it as a variant of bordel which is used at least in France with the very same meaning (désordre, truc). Brol etymology seems unclear, but bordel is not in the Wiktionary list. – jlliagre Aug 2 '18 at 19:30
  • To show how much this word is common in Belgium, it is often said that in private, Belgium's prince Charles (regent from 1945 to 1950 during a major institutional crisis) used to boast jokingly "j'ai sauvé le brol" (the "brol" being nothing less than the monarchy). – Greg Aug 2 '18 at 19:46
  • I tried reverso, what the hell? Thank you...dunno why it doesn't come up for me... Ohhhh, it's in the dictionary but not the French-English dictionary. – temporary_user_name Aug 2 '18 at 20:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.