This is a Brexit term and I want to read French sources and opinion on the subject that it identifies.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Laurent S., Toto, Dimitris, Stéphane Gimenez Sep 1 '18 at 22:09

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    @ Laurent S It seems that what is needed is nothing more than the French equivalent, so as to be able to do research in French papers and othe sources written in French. – LPH Sep 2 '18 at 10:04
  • @user168676: correct. I went missing from this site after answering own question (one cannot accept own answer immediately). I have now accepted own answer so as to take this off the unanswered queue. – S Meaden Sep 2 '18 at 15:24
  • This is a mere word for word translation with no explanation whatsoever; the concept predates the Brexit and was technically nothing more than an "alert and safeguard mechanism" to control the impact of the inflow of immigrant workers on social services. This was not about security. See the Wikipedia article: "Des limitations sont introduites aux indemnités dont peuvent bénéficier les immigrés européens au Royaume-Uni mais uniquement les nouveaux immigrés et avec l'autorisation du Conseil européen."(Wikipedia) – user3177 Sep 2 '18 at 15:58
  • See source. – user3177 Sep 2 '18 at 16:00

"frein d'urgence" as used in this article, nouvelobs.com


looks like the handbrake. "frein à main". to suggest a strong opposition we often use figuratively: "X à provoqué une levée de bouclier"

  • Une levée de boucliers is indeed more idiomatic than frein d'urgence or frein à main which convey the meaning but is not so clear – Kii Aug 13 '18 at 11:52

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.