Je n'utilise pas que le clavier AZERTY ou QWERTY. Je bascule de l'un à/vers l'autre quand bon me chante.

I just said this in conversation, but I wonder if "basculer de ... vers ..." is just as acceptable as "basculer de ... à ..."?

• Exactly! As you said! As acceptable as ! – aCOSwt Aug 12 '18 at 8:58
  • @aCOSwt Curious. When you type text in French, do you plump for which style? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 12 '18 at 15:27
    Eh... bien... tantôt l'un, tantôt l'autre... forcément. ;) En fait, si je prête attention à ce que je veux dire, je (me myself & I) préférerai de l'un à l'autre s'il y a contact physique ou adhésion avec une idée. Et vers si il n'y est question que d'approche, de direction, de sens. Sans contact ni adhésion. (Mais cela dit, I am possibly alone on that one) – aCOSwt Aug 12 '18 at 15:40
    It’s not relevant to your interesting question (and it’s probably just me who’s not getting the full importance of your use of “ou” and not “et”), but the way the first sentence in your question is written made me think that you were possibly going to be mentioning in sentence two a third (or more) type(s) of keyboard(s) that you use in addition to the two mentioned earlier. Anyway, sentence two clarifies the meaning of sentence one, even for me! – Papa Poule Aug 12 '18 at 17:07
    @PapaPoule : You are and correct and not alone ;) However the use of et would not solve the ambiguity. I looked at your profile, do you mean that you are only a husband and a father ? In order to solve the ambiguity, you'd need to be explicit about the fact that you use 2 keyboards : *J'utilise deux claviers. Un AZERTY et un QWERTY et bascule... * – aCOSwt Aug 12 '18 at 21:30

Basculer can be used with vers but not à so we say:

Basculer vers le clavier qwerty

and not

Basculer au clavier qwerty

On the other hand, both de x à y and de x vers y are possible.

In the first sentence, the move is completed (or is described as a whole) while in the second one, the move is ongoing. That doesn't make a significant difference when applying to keyboard settings so both forms are possible and acceptable.

We can also say:

Je bascule d'azerty en qwerty.

I would use:

Je n'utilise pas qu'un seul type de clavier, azerty ou qwerty. Je passe de l'un à l'autre quand ça1 me chante.

1Quand bon me chante sounds odd. It's usually either quand bon me semble or quand ça me chante

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.