What is the usual French way for saying 'milk' of the verb, not the noun? For example, in order to say like belows to criticize a boss's greediness toward money and profits? Thanks for any input. "You blindly follow your boss's order, and for what, so they can just milk the situation for money".

Considering that the verb "milk" in English often refers to an intellectually dishonest manner in which one tries to extract the maximum financial (or otherwise) gain from a given situation over an extended period, how about:

Tu obéis à ton chef au doigt et à l'œil. Et ce, uniquement pour qu'ils puissent s'en enrichir / s'enrichir toujours plus.

I might go for « tirer le meilleur parti d'une situation » in a different context, but as you seem to be talking specifically about monetary gain here, this phrase would sound rather vague, falling short of conveying the monetary nuance.

Ideally, if I could replace « s'enrichir » with its more casual counterpart, more in keeping with the informal tone of the verb "milk".

• S'enrichir is fine but s'en enrichir is slightly odd. Here is a couple of more casual/colloquial alternatives of s'enrichir: s'en mettre plein les poches and se gaver. – jlliagre Aug 14 '18 at 8:15
  • @jlliagre Hi. As for "s'en enrichir", does it refer more to some enhancement in a positive sense? I wasn't sure about this, so I placed them both. If this is the case, please feel free to edit it out accordingly. :) – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 14 '18 at 16:12
  • No big deal. I just wouldn't have written Pour qu'ils puissent s'enrichir toujours plus de ce que tu obéisse à ton chef au doigt et à l'œil. Who is ils is also unclear. – jlliagre Aug 14 '18 at 22:04
  • @jlliagre Ah, I see. What I had in mind (as to what "en" refers to) was more like "Pour qu'ils puissent s'enrichir toujours plus d'une situation fructueuse", supposing that the word "situation" or something similar was used in the preceding context. As for "ils/they", perhaps the OP refers to several big shots in the organisation, including the boss? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 14 '18 at 22:25
  • I guess another possibility is the OP used a singular they. – jlliagre Aug 14 '18 at 22:29

I suppose the closest French expression is “tirer profit de [la situation]”, in which “tirer” (“draw”) is used similarly to “milk”. This expression can be used in formal language. I can't remember any slang variation to it.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.