I have checked other responses but in Scotland the degree system is slightly different from other systems in the UK and abroad.

I studied a Master's degree in French at the University of Glasgow. This included 5 years of study as follows:

  1. 2 years of study at my home university.
  2. 1 year of university at a French university.
  3. 2 year of study at my home university again.

Please note, I did not have a bachelor's degree/license before this study. In certain universities in Scotland we can obtain Master's degrees as undergraduates.

So my question: est-ce que c'est une "maîtrise" ou un "Master"?

I'm not sure if, given my year abroad, this would be considered BAC+4 or BAC+5? I would appreciate any advice as I don't want to be using the wrong term. (I can always include an explanatory note when I use the term but that seems a bit superfluous.


À mon sens, le fait d'avoir un bac +4 ou un bac +5 dépend du nombre d'année d'étude mais surtout des crédits ECTS obtenus.

Le Master est une formation qui permet d’obtenir un Bac+5. Le Master donne le droit à 300 crédits ETCS. En effet, s’ajoutent aux crédits ECTS de votre licence ou de votre bachelor (180), ceux du master (120).

Information about ECTS: https://ec.europa.eu/education/resources-and-tools/european-credit-transfer-and-accumulation-system-ects_en

Check out this website, you should have more info about it per the country: https://www.studyineurope.eu/ects-system

Une source équivalente en FR: https://diplomeo.com/actualite-credits_ects_european_credits_transfer_system


The diploma called "maitrise" is now a diploma that can be delivered at the end of the first year of study in what is called the "second cycle"; it is called an intermediary diploma; the diploma called "master" is delivered the next year. The "master" is what used to be called "maitrise"; you can't get it before two years' study in the "second cycle", that is not beforet the end of the "second cyle"; if you have those two years' study, either in France or in the UK, you should be able to say "master" as "master" corresponds to "master's degree" in the UK.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.