Am I understanding correctly, that difference of these two questions 'Es-tu allé à la ville?' and 'Qu'est-ce que tu es allé à la ville?' is 'Did you go to the town' and 'Is this true, that you went to the town?' ?

• Qu'est-ce que tu as allé à la ville is incorrect. Are you sure you don't mean "est-ce que tu es allé à la ville" ? – Greg Dec 13 '18 at 7:45
    Aller à la ville sounds old fashioned, would be es-tu allé en ville nowadays. The second sentence might also be Qu'est-ce que tu es allé faire en ville. – jlliagre Dec 13 '18 at 10:16

First of all, ‘Qu'est-ce que tu es allé à la ville’ is wrong. To answer your question, qu’est-ce que literally means ‘what is this which’ or ‘what is this that’. Qu’est-ce que translates to ‘what’ when it is used as an interrogative for a direct object. For example: Qu'est-ce que tu fais ? - What are you doing/What do you do? It translates to ‘what is’ when it is used as an interrogative for a definition. For example: Qu'est-ce qu'un blog ? - What is a blog? I hope this answers your question.

Affirmative question

— Tu vas à la piscine ? — Oui, j'aime la natation. (Agreeing — you will go)

— Tu vas à la piscine ? — Non, je déteste la natation. (Disagreeing — you will not go)

Negative question

— Tu ne vas pas à la piscine ? — Non, je déteste la natation. (Agreeing — you will not go)

— Tu ne vas pas à la piscine ? — Si, j'aime la natation. (Disagreeing — you will go)

Note that all of these are the informal style of asking questions (i.e. like declarative sentences but with a rising intonation). The most formal way is by inversion.

Ne vas-tu pas à la piscine ?

For your question in particular:

— Es-tu allé en ville ? — Oui, j'y suis allé/ Non, je n'y suis pas allé.

A less informal way is with the est-ce que structure:

Est-ce que tu ne vas pas à la piscine ?

As @jlliagre note

Qu'est-ce que tu es allé faire en ville ?

is acceptable.

A formal version could be:

Qu'es-tu allé faire en ville ?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.