I am writing a book of humor and I would be happy to send a free copy to the person who sends the best response. I am looking for a French feminine noun that has one acute accent. The word cannot have any other accents. Also, the word needs to have a vowel sound that appears at least twice within the word. As an example, I believe the French word for “the household,” "la maisonnée," meets the criteria. Please let me know if you know of any other words--the more unusual the word, the better. I prefer that the word has an ending that is obviously feminine, as in the example above, but that is not necessary. Merci beaucoup!

closed as too broad by Toto, Stéphane Gimenez Jan 2 at 11:06

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could you tell us what you want to use the word for? The name of an inn? Of a band? That might guide us a little, because there are tons of words that meet this criteria. – Teleporting Goat Jan 2 at 8:59
  • Something related to a bar or tavern would be preferred, but it's not required. Anything you can send along would be great. Plus I forgot to mention that the word does need to include a diphthong! Thanks for your interest in helping with this--I really appreciate it! – la grenouille de fer Jan 3 at 20:32
  • Well there are no diphtongs in French, so your second conditions is gonna be a little hard to fulfill ^^ Maybe you meant something else? – Teleporting Goat Jan 3 at 21:29

peignée

TLFi

A. Pop., fam. Volée de coups. Synon. raclée, rossée, volée. Donner, flanquer une peignée à qqn; recevoir une peignée; se donner, se foutre une peignée. Alors, on se trépignait dans la chambre vide, des peignées à se faire passer le goût du pain. Mais elle finissait par se ficher des dégelées comme du reste (ZOLA, Assommoir, 1877, p. 751). On parle des peignées homériques entre les soeurs de Gautier et la Grisi, d'entre lesquelles s'échappait Gautier, les laissant placidement continuer à s'arracher les cheveux (GONCOURT, Journal, 1895, p. 876). À l'ordinaire j'étais calme, plutôt trop doux, et je détestais les peignées, convaincu sans doute que j'y aurais toujours le dessous (GIDE, Si le grain, 1924, p. 408). V. fouailler ex. 1.
B. TEXT. ,,Quantité de laine ou de chanvre que l'ouvrier met sur son peigne`` (CHESN. t.2 1858).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.